1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
- Contributed to an open-source project.
- Competed in a fatbike race.
- Became extremely angry over the results of a Presidential election.
- Wrote a useful WordPress plugin from scratch.
- Started building an open source hardware project
- Viewed a football game from the club level.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year? I actually have no idea. No really! I can’t find any record of my New Year’s Resolution. Doesn’t matter, though — I probably didn’t pull it off, since 2016 turned out nothing like I expected it to.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes? I feel like that’s the answer, but I am so tired right now that I cannot focus.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes.
5. What countries did you visit? Trumpistan. Fuuuuuuck.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016? President Clinton… Okay, President Anyone-But-Trump, actually.
7. What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? March 11th, because reasons. Also November 8th, because President-Elect
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Landed a new job at an agency I’ve wanted to work for for about a decade.
9. What was your biggest failure? Failure to realize that a friendship I valued was doomed.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Yes? No. Not really. Maybe?
11. What was the best thing you bought? My fatbike. Holy shit that thing is fun.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? At this point, I’m going to say “nobody’s”…
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
- Donald Trump for being the pure embodiment of the comments section on YouTube.
- The Trump Jihadis who decided it would be okay to act like criminals because “their guy” won the election.
14. Where did most of your money go? Bills.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Rogue One. And it was worth the wait.
16. What song will always remind you of 2016? Dunno. Nothing really stuck with me this year.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Fatter or thinner: fatter
b) Richer or poorer: richer
c) Happier or less happy: about the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
- Dwelling on dumb shit
20. How did you spend Christmas? With family, opening gifts.
21. Did you fall in love in 2016? No.
22. What was your favorite TV program? Game of Thrones
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No.
24. What was the best book you read? A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2016? Don’t think I had one this year.
26. What did you want and get? A new fatbike.
27. What did you want and not get? A new TV.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? Rogue One
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Watched TV. I was 44.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A winning lottery ticket.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016? I grudgingly wore pants.
32. What kept you sane? Having creative/tech projects to tackle.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Margot Robbie.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? The election. Then the shitshow of having a bunch of white supremacist Nazi shitwagons put into the Cabinet immediately thereafter.
35. Who did you miss? After awhile, no one.
36. Who was the best new person you met? My teammates at Stratasys — Josh, Didi, Morgon Mae, James, Liz, John, Sarah, and everyone else. You guys rock.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016:
“You know, it’s funny; when you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags.” — Wanda the Owl, BoJack Horseman (Season 2, Episode 10)