Posts in this series
1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
• Started taking medication for my ADD, and it did wonders.
• Started a house fire, among other things that day. Oops.
• Bought a new bike at full price. (Deposit, anyway. Still. Haven’t paid retail since pre-1999.)
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
God no. I never seem to. Maybe if I keep a list handy and refer to it often, that’ll help for 2016. Let’s try that.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
• Cindi and Adam.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My sister-in-law, Alex. It was one of those things you knew was coming, but nothing really prepared you for it. I wrote about it here.
And Kate and I had Happy put down a few weeks after we moved into the new house. His departure was tough on everyone.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
• Inner peace.
7. What date from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
• 12/24. I SAW STAR WARS, BISHES.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
• Not dying. Hey, it happens to people.
9. What was your biggest failure?
• It’s like a 90-way tie for first place.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had all sorts of little annoying shit go down — conjunctivitis and pneumonia simultaneously, for example. And then in November, I had the flu and pneumonia at the same time. A few more colds than usual.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A new MacBook Pro 13″ (Retina display), replacing my almost 8-year old Mac Mini that was slowly withering down to nothing.
The Trek Farley 5 I’m not quite counting yet — I did put a deposit down on it so it wouldn’t go anywhere, but I haven’t paid it off yet.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
• The Supreme Court for getting it right and legalizing gay marriage nationwide.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
• Killer cops.
• People who defended the killer cops.
• Donald Trump for being the pure embodiment of the comments section on YouTube.
14. Where did most of your money go?
The new house. Man. That fucking hurt the wallet.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
• Seeing The Martian on the big screen.
• My new Macbook Pro.
• My new fatbike.
• STAR WARS.
16. What song will always remind you of 2015?
“It Could Have Been Me” – The Struts. I discovered it when I was at a personal crossroads and thinking a lot about what I want my life to be, compared to where it was from 2011 to 2015. I played the shit out of it…and then when I was getting sick of it, Eddy discovered it and insisted on it being played constantly.
A distant second was “Something From Nothing” by the Foo Fighters. It, too, struck a personal chord.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Fatter or thinner: Thinner
b) Richer or poorer: Poorer
c) Happier or less happy: Happier
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
• Meditating. Once I started it regularly, a lot changed.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
• Build a lot of Eddy’s LEGO kits.
21. Did you fall in love in 2015?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I didn’t watch much in the way of TV in 2015. But I enjoyed the bits of Daredevil that I did see.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No. I hate fewer people. I’ve been letting go of hate — no point in letting the past lay claim to my headspace.
24. What was the best book you read?
• The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
• The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
• Station Eleven
• The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2015?
The Struts. They seem like the next logical extension of Queen, and man, I played the hell out of them in 2015. Also saw them at First Ave. Great show.
26. What did you want and get?
• A replacement for my Mac Mini.
• A fatbike (see also, above).
27. What did you want and not get?
• New tattoos.
• Inner peace.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Theatre viewing: STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 43. Dinner. Conversation. Received a 1-pound pack of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. (2 8oz. cups. Those fuckers are intimidating.)
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Lottery win. Duh.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Gunning for more stylish. Wound up basically rocking jeans and t-shirts most days.
32. What kept you sane?
Good friends. The gym. My bike. Creative outlets.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Gay marriage, as I mentioned above. Was fervently in-favor, and when the Supreme Court ruling hit, I was extremely happy.
35. Who did you miss?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
• Holly. (Formally met. We’d talked on Twitter for over a year before we met face-to-face.)
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015:
This is still TBD. 2015 was a terrible year for the most part. I’m too close to it to take anything away from it. For the purposes of this post, though, I’ll just say this: “ADD medications work, dude.”
Image Credits: Pexels.com/Creative Commons Zero (CC0).