Posts in this series
So this is one of those things that I try to do every year — same questions and everything. Here’s my year in review…
1. What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before?
- Worked myself out of a job. (To be fair, it was a short-term contract role, and it was for a single project.)
- Upgraded to a phone that’s roughly the size of an aircraft carrier. (iPhone 8+) I’m told you can see it from orbit.
- Saw U2 in concert, finally.
- Started keeping a physical diary. Need to get better about daily updates, though.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
- Dude, I don’t even remember what my new year’s resolution for 2017 was.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
- Cindi and Adam had Child 2.0!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
- My Birchwood teammate, Taylor. He was a great guy and he’s missed. P.S.: FUCK CANCER SO HARD.
5. What countries did you visit?
- Still stuck in Trumpistan. Have started researching possible places to relocate to, including New Zealand.
6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?
- Donald Trump led out of the Oval Office in handcuffs.
- Income in excess of $140,000. (Will involve serious hustlin’.)
7. What date from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
- Finding a new gig at a place where I seem to be able to contribute.
9. What was your biggest failure?
- It took awhile to find a new gig after I worked myself out of the previous one.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
- Had a hard bike crash on the road.
- Also did fall in the shower, shatter the soapdish, which resulted in a badly sprained shoulder and a bunch of stitches in my back. Ugh.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
- Oh geez. I didn’t buy much this year — I did start piecing together a new Surly Steamroller frame for commuting to/from work. It’s not done, to be sure, but in the spring of 2018, it’ll have a set of wheels, and I’ll be making some mods to it (brazing on top tube cable stops and brazing on some rack/fender mounts.)
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
- The brave women of the #MeToo movement.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
- Donald Trump and the rest of the GOP.
14. Where did most of your money go?
- Mortgage, household expenses, as per usual.
- Spending money? The Surly Steamroller mentioned above.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- The new Star Wars movie. However, after seeing it, I can say that I liked it, but I still don’t know how I feel about it. If that makes any sense.
16. What song will always remind you of 2017?
- Oh geez. Maybe “Take it All Back” by Judah and the Lion?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- Fatter or thinner: about the same, actually
- Richer or poorer: poorer
- Happier or less happy: happier
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
- Riding my bike.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
- Procrastinating. (I say that every year, duh.)
20. How did you spend Christmas?
- Surrounded by the people I love the most.
21. Did you fall in love in 2017?
- I was already there.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
- Legion was fucking amazing.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
- Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Brian Lopes. Seriously, the best, most comprehensive book I’ve read on any subject filed until “Sports”… This book was a masterpiece.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2017?
- I dunno.
26. What did you want and get?
- My new Surly Steamroller.
27. What did you want and not get?
- The wheels to finish the building of my Surly Steamroller.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
- The Last Jedi, but also…
- Baby Driver was awesome, followed very closely by Spider-Man: Homecoming, Wonder Woman, and Logan. They were all fucking amazeballs.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
- I was 45. I saw the new Star Wars movie and had a nice dinner.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
- Donald Trump being dragged out of the Oval Office, kicking and screaming, in handcuffs.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?
- I grudgingly wore pants.
32. What kept you sane?
- Riding my bike. Reading.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
- Gal Gadot. Because DAMN.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
- The GOP Tax Bill.
35. Who did you miss?
- My friends, who I didn’t see enough in 2017.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017:
- “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming.” — Dori