Posts in this series
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Drove an SUV at 100mph in a snowstorm.
Became a dad.
(These last two items happened within 2 hours of each other.)
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
Yes, and no. I think I’m just going to focus on plowing through items on my new 101 Things list.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Sure. My wife.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
That I was close with? No.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More vacation time. More willpower.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 13th. The day Eddy was born. Two months early and an Apgars of 8. My kid is a thug.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Landing a new job that I wanted very much.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not getting as far ahead in the framebuilding business as I’d like to have.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was sick a few times, and my back was out a few times. I did also have a pretty gnarly MTB crash that required x-rays and painkillers.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Does paying the NICU bill count? No? Okay, then the whole workshop build-out that started on Father’s Day with the fork fixture.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Everyone who voted against the amendment to ban gay marriage in MN. Everyone everywhere else who voted against making it illegal.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The Westboro Baptist Church.
14. Where did most of your money go?
House and baby expenses.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The arrival of my son.
Building out my workshop.
The Avengers movie.
My bike biz.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
“Same Love” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier
ii. thinner or fatter? a little thinner
iii. richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Seeing the negatives
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my brother and his girlfriend’s family in Hutchinson
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
I fell harder in love with Kate in 2012.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
Hugh Howey’s WOOL series.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2012?
Doomtree, I guess. Never really listened to them before this year. Really dug them once I started.
26. What did you want and get?
A healthy baby boy.
A healthier marriage.
An Anvil fork fixture.
27. What did you want and not get?
My birthday in Vegas.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went to Jumi and Josh’s wedding, which was really the best way I could have spent it. I was 40.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning that $400+ million jackpot in the Powerball.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Dressy at work, dirty at home.
32. What kept you sane?
Downtime with the wife and kid.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Gay rights — esp. marriage.
35. Who did you miss?
My older brother and his wife.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Jeff Sauer. Smart cookie.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
Hanlon’s Razor: never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Nothing you can make that can’t be made.
No one you can save that can’t be saved.
Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time.
All you need is love.
— The Beatles (duh)