Posts in this series
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?I don’t think there was anything noteworthy this year that was a “first”…
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?I can’t see anywhere that I wrote down resolutions for 2013. I will make a few resolutions for 2014, which I will post here at a later date.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?Kate gave birth to our second child, Sam.
4. Did anyone close to you die?No.
5. What countries did you visit?None.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?Steady employment; rewarding work.
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?November 26th, the day Sam was born.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?Shipping a bike to a customer in West Virginia.
9. What was your biggest failure?Losing my job.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?A few colds, broke a toe, etc.
11. What was the best thing you bought?An iPhone 5.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?Nobody that I can think of.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?The NSA.
14. Where did most of your money go?Bills.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?Iron Man 3.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?“Blurred Lines”
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier
ii. thinner or fatter? thinner
iii. richer or poorer? poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?Biking! I did a ton of it this summer, mostly on the mountain bike, and I lost about 15 pounds of beer gut and felt a lot sharper, mentally.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?Lamenting my lack of success in the framebuilding biz. Better to just do it.
20. How did you spend Christmas?With family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?I was already in love, duh.
22. What was your favorite TV program?Uh, good question. I don’t know.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?Nope.
24. What was the best book you read?I really enjoyed Malcolm Gladwell’s David & Goliath.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2013?I don’t know that I had one. This seems to be the year of individual tracks and not full albums.
26. What did you want and get?More time to ride my bike. A full-term pregnancy for Kate.
27. What did you want and not get?A new job.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?Mmm. Hard to say. Nothing that I saw jumped out at me as an exceptional movie.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?I will be 41 (on the 22nd). I have no idea if there’s anything planned. I’m not really worried about it.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?A new job. A winning lottery ticket.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?Casual. Jeans and hoodies.
32. What kept you sane?Riding my bike. Playing with Eddy.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?Nobody.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?The NSA surveillance of American citizens’ communications.
35. Who did you miss?Nobody.
36. Who was the best new person you met?Um. I got nothing here. Sorry.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013:I had the “attitude is everything” lesson reinforced.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.I’m a monster, I’m a maven
I know this world is changing
Never gave in, never gave up
I’m the only thing I’m afraid of
— “Amazing”, Kanye West