Posts in this series
- Day 1: Introduce Yourself
- Day 2: Your First Love
- Day 3: Your Parents
- Day 4: Your Music
- Day 5: Your Definition of Love
- Day 6: Your Hobbies
- Day 7: Your Best Friend
- Day 8: A Precious Item
- Day 9: Your Beliefs
- Day 10: What You Wore Today
- Day 11: Your Siblings
- Day 12: What's in Your Bag?
- Day 13: Your Mode of Transportation
- Day 14: Where You Live
- Day 15: Your Childhood
- Day 16: Your First Kiss
- Day 17: Your Favorite Memory
- Day 18: Your Favorite Birthday
- Day 19: Something You Regret
- Day 20: Your Morning Routine
- Day 21: Your Job and/or Schooling
- Day 22: Something That Upsets You
- Day 23: Something That Makes You Feel Better
- Day 24: Something That Makes You Cry
- Day 25: Your Sleeping Habits
- Day 26: Your Fears
- Day 27: Your Favorite Place
- Day 28: Something That You Miss
- Day 29: Your Favorite Foods/Drinks
- Day 30: Your Aspirations
There’s a few:
Marrying Kate is far and away the best memory I’ve got. Need I say more? Okay, well, it was an awesome day, and I married the woman that’s perfect for me. Never been happier than I have been in the 63 days since.
Spring of 2009. One of those first warm days. Kate was in North Carolina, and I was “living feral”1. All the windows were open, and I was cleaning house, knowing that Kate was coming home the following weekend. I had Bob Marley on the stereo (really loud), Mooch cradled in my arms and purring like a race car, and I was singing “Stir It Up” at her. About six weeks later, she’d be dead, but that’s the way I remember her now.
February 2002. Coming home from Philly to stay. I was in my XTerra, towing a UHaul, and approaching St. Paul via I-94. It was dusk. Mooch was sleeping on the dashboard, Pixel was snoozing in her kennel, and the CD player was quiet. When I got my first view of the capitol building, it was all lit up and glowing, and I knew that I was home. I was bouncing in my seat with excitement — and not just to be done with that drive.
1. i.e., I was a pseudo-bachelor.