Posts in this series
I stole this from my friend, Jenni, because it’s cool.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
• stayed out until 5am in Vegas and didn’t end up spewing my guts out that night
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
In my personal life, I was wildly inconsistent in my pursuit of my improvements. In my professional life, I was kick ass. I did manage to get the raise I was working toward and that was damned pleasing.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. My friend/former co-worker, Terry, killed himself. And my BFF/cat, Mooch, had to be euthanized due to bone cancer that had metastasized.
5. What countries did you visit?
Is Las Vegas a country? No? WELL IT SHOULD BE.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 29: Kate and I got engaged.
Distant Second: Inauguration Day.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Starting my framebuilding class.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Racing. Didn’t do enough, nor train enough.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Sunburn in North Carolina, sunburn from TIG welding, a few minor colds here and there. Don’t remember anything else signficant.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Powertap PRO+ hub/wheelset and a Garmin Edge 705.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Anyone who didn’t turn into a screaming frothing birther fundie nutjob after the inauguration.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Screaming frothing birther fundie nutjobs.
14. Where did most of your money go?
An engagement ring, car repairs, vet bills. New living room furniture.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Kate’s return from her 4-month long business trip to NC. Framebuilding class.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
None in particular.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? generally happier
ii. thinner or fatter? fatter
iii. richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spent more time with Mooch.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
With family throughout Minnesota.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
I was already in love during 2009.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Ooh. Tough one. Really liked Big Bang Theory and Flashforward.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
Another good question. I read a lot of books this year. I really enjoyed Cory Doctorow’s Makers.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2009?
Kings of Leon.
26. What did you want and get?
To start learning a new skill (framebuilding), my PowerTap hub.
27. What did you want and not get?
Mooch to come home healthy.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 37. We went to dinner and then saw Avatar in 3D from the VIP seats at a new theatre in St. Louis Park. I got Beatles Rock Band for the PS3 and beat it on Medium in a day.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Mooch surviving. Unfortunately, she was too far gone by the time she started showing symptoms.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Same as 2008 — comfortable.
32. What kept you sane?
Riding my bike, also Battlefield 1943 on the PS3. Civ 4 on the PC.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Liz Hatch (pro cyclist), Tina Fey. Rawr.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
35. Who did you miss?
Mooch, Kate while she was in NC, Liz (not Hatch) until we made-up and were friends again, and Terry (even though I rarely saw him).
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I met a bunch of really cool people. I’m really grateful to Paul Wyganowski for taking me on and teaching me the craft of framebuilding.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
You can’t stop the learning.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Honestly? I can’t think of any. Suggestions?