Moving Recap

So all in all, the move went pretty well. We don’t have the Interweebs at home yet, and won’t until Thursday between 2pm and 5pm. Obviously, I’m alive. Kate is alive. The cats are alive (but traumatized). My right leg is a mass of bruises and scrapes from slamming it into various boxes and bits of furniture repeatedly. So let’s run it down, shall we?

I left work and went down to the house for our final walkthrough. Easy peasy. There were a couple of U-Hauls there and a cleaning lady, but that was it. We walked through. Everything looked pretty good. The bar was gone, but that was expected after they decided they wanted $500 for it. Their gas grill was still on the back deck. “I hope they forgot that,” I said.

Our closing went off without a hitch — in and out in about 45 minutes. The owners informed us that we could have their gas grill, which we thanked them for. They were really nice. We got money back at close and went to the bank before heading back to the apartment. My mother-in-law came over and helped us pack. She blew through the kitchen (the only major room left) like a hurricane and after she left we continued with the nickel-and-dime stuff. There was still going to be stuff that was necessary to pack Friday morning, which brings us to, obviously…

We got up early, got dressed, and began getting all the last-minute shit in boxes. While I was corralling the cats, the movers showed up, so we wound up with Scout in the downstairs bathroom and the other three in the upstairs bath. All was generally quiet for them — Scout stayed behind the toiler and was generally happy to see me when I visited him, but otherwise was pretty quiet.

Scout is scared.
Scout, hiding behind the toilet.

The movers had everything loaded into the trucks in less than three hours, which was no small feat. One truck wound up packed to the gills, the other was a quarter full. Just before they left, two of the movers used the bathroom with Scout in it. He didn’t mind the first guy, but the second guy talked to him and he FREAKED. Started yowling and was generally scared shitless. After the movers and Kate left, I spent a few minutes letting the cats out and checking things out. Generally, everyone was okay, except Scout, who ran around the empty apartment, terrified, and trying to find a hiding place.

We had our china (thanks, boss!) in Kate’s car, and in my car I had the Cervelo, with my 29er on the roof. Also had Mooch’s ashes, my bike tools, and a few other things in there. The trucks and Kate left, and I left about 5-10 minutes later.

On the drive down I-35W, about 200 yards before the exit for County Road 42 (our exit), I passed one of our trucks, sitting on the side of the road with it’s hood up. I said to myself, “Crap, I’ll bet you that’s the full one.”

I was right. They’d blown a radiator line (hot day, long hill, full load of cargo = not surprising). The partially-filled van showed up, and the two guys unloaded it in about 30-45 minutes, and then headed off to their next job. The guys on the side of the road showed up about 3 hours later, hot, tired, and considerably less chipper than they were before…and they had to unload by themselves. They got the entire van unloaded in about 2 hours. We tipped them all handsomely for their hard work on a hot day, and then went down to retrieve the cats.

There was a moment of “oh shit” when the bottom fell off of Vinnie’s kennel while moving him to the car, but fortunately we corralled him quickly and all was set right. The Feliway on the towels in their kennels, combined with the herbal sedative cream in Scout’s ears kept the trip relatively low-key (unlike our adventure to the vet’s office earlier this year). We got them home, opened the kennels and set them free. Happy was right out and looking around, with Calvin right behind him, and Vinnie third. Scout stayed cowering in the back of his kennel for quite awhile, still freaked out.

Basically, we built the bed, unpacked some of the kitchen, and then called it a night. At some point, Scout did curl up with us for a bit, and all the boys started to roam the house.

We both woke up early — before seven, and chitchatted for a bit before I got in the car and drove over to my father-in-laws’ place to get his truck. I drove back to Nordeast and loaded up my workshop, then cruised down to Savage and unloaded it. That’s the last time it’ll ever amount to a single trip. After I got back, Kate helped me unload all that, and then we went to Home Depot for a bunch of stuff, including a new mower and a weed whacker. I returned the truck to my father-in-law, and drove home. The brother-in-law and his fianceé were already there. We chit-chatted for a bit. Then more of the in-laws came over to see the place. Then we went and had lunch. Then we came home and continued to unpack.

Woke up. Got ready to go to the bike shop job. Stopped to look for a cable modem. No luck. Got to the shop and discovered I didn’t have to work, after all. Went to Micro Center and scored a cable modem. Stopped back at the apartment, cleaned out the fridge and loaded that cooler, along with my other two bikes (the Salsas) into the car. Drove home. Unloaded that. Got a basic setup of the home theater going. Got the office partially unpacked and the computer set up.

Monday’s To-Do List:

  • work at office shift
  • work at bike shop
  • assemble lawn mower
  • assemble weed whacker and start charging battery
  • order a second set of workbench legs from Enco

Tuesday’s To-Do List:

  • work at office shift
  • mow and weedwhack yard
  • organize garage

On Thursday, the car goes in for some major repair/maintenance work. Need to find the oil leak (dear god, please not the turbocharger), and have the 105,000-mile service done, to include the water pump, timing belt, and tensioners.

2 thoughts on “Moving Recap”

  1. Congratulations on surviving the move. Moving sucks. Congratulations on buying a house, though. Houses are a lot of fun. Nice seeing you again in the shop. Take care and good luck with getting settled. It takes about a year to figure out the right place to put stuff…

Comments are closed.