Since I got the new Macbook Pro last summer, I’ve been working in dribs and drabs on a new font. It’s a handwriting one, based on my increasingly-complex meta-cursive. Call it Danwriting 2.0. Whatever the case, for awhile I’ve struggled with what to do with it when complete. (It’s a huge OpenType font with thousands of glyphs, lots of ligatures and alternate characters.)
Project: This one kills two birds with one stone. As part of my 101 Things in 1001 Days, I am supposed to design three new fonts. Additionally, I need it for a custom MTB frame I’m working on. More on that in a bit. The first iteration — call it a rough rough draft — of the letterforms is shown below…
So I’ve figured out the markets I’ll be submitting these two new stories to — the first one I started is going to start the Grand Tour of Rejection at Strange Horizons, and the second will start the journey at F&SF. I will have to do the smart thing and create a spreadsheet to track all my rejections, and I’m okay with that, because as a project manager, I’m a big fan of spreadsheets.
I’m hoping to have my rough drafts done by bedtime on Monday the 14th. Revisions and clean-up on the weekend of the 19th and 20th, and in the mail on the 21st.